Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Goodreads Description:

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. 

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

My Rating:


My Review:


I got this book because of a book club I plan on participating in.  As I've said a few times I'm really not into YA books.  This book however was very good.  I read it in one day, while cleaning and playing with my kids (though I could of played more if I could of put the book down more!)  The pace is great, high action sit on the edge of your seat at times.  When you weren't on the edge of your seat you were flung back slouching and thinking wow didn't see that coming or what will she do now! I can definitely see why everyone is talking about this book and I am happy to hear it's being made into a movie which will come out soon!  I WILL be one of the first people in line to see it and compare it to the book!

The story takes place in a world called Panem, a post apocalyptic America.  There are 12 districts with the Capital in the center.  There use to be 13 but after a revolution which destroyed the 13th district the Hunger Games are created to keep the districts in line and to remind them what will happen if anyone rebels!   Katniss volunteers when her younger sister is chosen along with a boy from her district named Peeta.  From that point it's nothing but intrigue, action, and emotion!  I was so frustrated with the end because I wanted to know how things progress. (won't say more because I don't want to ruin it for anyone!) Needless to say I'm already 6% (according to my Kindle) into the second in the series!  Definitely Recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment