Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Irish Healer by Nancy Herriman ----- Publication Date: April 03, 2012

Goodreads Description:

Accused of murdering a child under her care, Irish healer Rachel Dunne flees the ensuing scandal while vowing to never sit at another sickbed. She no longer trusts in her abilities—or God’s mercy. But when a cholera epidemic sweeps through London, she feels compelled to nurse the dying daughter of the enigmatic physician she has come to love. James Edmunds, wearied by the deaths of too many patients, has his own doubts about God’s grace. Can they each face their darkest fears? Or is it too late to learn that trust and love just might heal their hearts?




My Rating:


My Review:


I enjoyed the read but it wasn't fantastic to me.  I felt for Rachel and how she was persecuted by her townfolk for trying to help, as many midwives and healers were.  Even though a court of law found her innocent the father of patient who passed is making Rachel's life miserable so she leaves her town an head to England to work as an Assistant for Dr. James Edmunds.  Rachel's cousin, Clair, is of great help in finding her this situation until Rachel can secure a teaching position.  From the start there is a connection between Rachel and James, down to the typical shock many romances have when they first touch.  Through out the book, Rachel is put in situations that make her lean on her old healing learning's and remember what happened in her home town in Ireland.  It isn't until tragedy strikes close and personally that Rachel re-evaluates her life and realizes she can still be a healer.

There is a lot of 'God Talk' in this book and I'm not any where near a overly religious person.  So at times I got a little gagging sensation when the characters talk about anything religious.  However for some people they don't mind or are religious individuals and so won't be turned off by that heavy religious under (Over) tones.  I also thought that the romance between James and Rachel's romance wasn't very prominent and then all of a sudden James is declaring his love for her and proposing.  I know that historically that was probably how it was done so it was probably historically accurate but me being a modern woman I prefer to see more romantic gestures of love and romance in general in a romance story.

All in all, it's a ok read but by no means my favorite or one I'd highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment